Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update

I still haven't heard back from that local clinic where my friend/coworker works. The last I heard from them, about a month ago, was that they were still checking my references, and not to worry. I've all but given up hope on getting that job. Oh well. My friend/coworker says they kinda suck anyway.

I didn't get that VA job in Oklahoma City, although I was one of the short-listed candidates. I guess they had enough local applicants who didn't require relocation assistance. Oh well. Oklahoma sucks anyway.

The CEO of a little hospital in Idaho called me a couple weeks ago...I'd applied for a job there back in November, it's a full-time, benefitted combined lab/x-ray position which means I'd be drawing blood AND taking x-rays. It's 7 days on, 7 days off, which is an interesting schedule. He said he's had a hard time finding people interested in the position because it's in a rather remote location, and that he wanted to do a face-to-face interview, but I'm not sure I feel like flying out to frickin' Boise and then renting a car and driving two hours just for an interview, when I've got plans to sit for the CAMRT in May. Oh well. Idaho sucks anyway.

I get to have a chat with my boss sometime this week regarding CT training. Apparently she doesn't want to give me official CT training because she isn't sure of my "commitment to this hospital". I kinda want to tell her, "Look, I've been at this hospital for the better part of a year, despite the fact that I had another unscheduled position that paid $5 more an hour and I quit after one day because I didn't feel comfortable there like I do here. You'll also notice that when I was teaching, I worked around my schedule here, instead of the other way around. How's THAT for commitment?" Besides, the only reason I'm even looking for another job is for healthcare benefits. I don't want to leave this place, I love it, the people are nice, and we have a really well-run department. But I just got a bill from the ER at my own hospital, and it was over $600, on top of the $400+ bill that Paul got when I had to take HIM to my hospital's ER last month. How the hell am I supposed to pay all that when I'm the only one working and I only get scheduled two or three days a week? All I really need is a part-time position WITH BENEFITS. Is that honestly too much to ask for?

On a related note, today I applied for a full-time, benefitted CT tech position at a hospital about half an hour away. They only require an associate's degree, and I not only have a bachelor's degree with an entire term of CT, I also have about 10 full months of CT experience. I interviewed there for a position in their cardiac cath lab last year, like 2 days after I applied, so I know those guys are on the ball when it comes to HR stuff.

I got all my CAMRT application materials together and mailed them in on Feb. 13th, they arrived in Ottawa on the 17th, a day before the deadline. Now comes the fun part: waiting. I hope they decide that my curriculum is substantially similar to a Canadian program. I wonder how long it takes. Maybe I'll call them in a couple hours, since they're on Eastern time and it's not like I'm even doing anything at work tonight. Good news, though: I've got a couple hospitals in the Vancouver, BC area already interested in hiring me once I pass the CAMRT exam, which I've found is similar to the ARRT exam that I passed with an 88%, two years ago. Woohoo!

I need to call the hospital business office when I get home from work, and see if we can qualify for financial assistance with those ER bills. The last thing I need on my credit record is YET ANOTHER blemish, it's utterly destroyed as it is. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment